Installing Datamartist client on a Windows server.
Running the Datamartist client on a Windows server involves exactly the same installation steps as installing on a local PC. The same application is used, run using batch files on the server and automated using whatever scheduling solution you have in place.
Key things to keep in mind before you install
- After installing using the .msi file, you need to run Datamartist directly at least once and use the GUI to activate the license before you are able to run it from the command line. (If you are installing in trial mode, you still need to run the application once so that it activates the trial.)
- To activate a purchased license the server needs to have access to the internet. If this is not possible, email support and we will assist you to activate without an internet connection.
- You need to ensure that you run datamartist from the command line using exactly the same user account you used to install it. Datamartist V1.2.0 is a user specific install, and so will not work if a different user account trys to run it from the command line.
- If the datamartist canvas uses local files, then the local files need to be in exactly the same folder paths as they were on the machine that created them.
- The datamartist client can only run one instance per machine- so it is not possible to launch multiple canvases at the same instant, however multiple canvases can be run in sequence from within a batch file.
In all cases, make sure you use the "/l" parameter to specify a folder to write the log file to. The log file will allow you to trouble shoot any issues in running Datamartist from the command line on a server or PC.
The canvas runs without issues on my local machine, but then on the server it does not have access to databases.
- You may need to generate a password file, and specifiy it on the command line with the "/p" parameter
- If you have data sources that use the windows authentication, the server might not have the same privleges with the database as the user on the local PC. You either need to grant the user on the server access, or use a login in the data source in the canvas, and export a password file.